Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Interview of 11 questions by Phyllis Wharton Smith with Artist Adrienne Bea Smith


Phyllis:  I have several questions to ask you about your work. First of all what is your experience and training?

Adrienne:   I have a BA Fine Arts Degree from University of Lancashire, Preston England in addition to having a BA degree in Drama for U of I at Chicago.  I lived in England for 20 years. I have exhibited in Europe and U.S.A in all painting media. I also have over 25 years teaching at community colleges in England, Arizona and New York State as well as community centers and private tuition in drawing and painting. My husband and I were owners and curators of The Main Street Gallery near Ithaca, NY having over 54 exhibitions giving the opportunity of showing other artists’ work in a gallery setting.

PhyllisYou seem to be doing a lot of pet portraits particularly poodles. How did that start?

Adrienne:  Well, first and foremost I have a love of animals. I always wanted to do portraits and since having poodles, first Gorky and then Lichen, it seemed to be a natural choice of doing pets as portraits.

Phyllis:  Did you leave teaching to do this?

Adrienne:  Lots of things happened all at once. We decided to leave upstate New York, sell the gallery, our house and move to Baltimore. I had to leave teaching, because I was experiencing a lot of pain in what I thought was my back. I had trouble walking.  Once we arrived in Baltimore, I realized, after seeing a surgeon, I required bilateral hip replacement surgery. I had the surgery which was successful. As I was retirement age, I wanted to work from home and it was logical to do art related to poodles and pets that I love.

Phyllis:  How do you start one of your drawings?

Adrienne:  First of all, I try and obtain clear photos of the subject matter for custom work. If not, I will work with what I am given. Then I use pencil guidelines to start the drawing.

Phyllis: I thought you used ink.

Adrienne:   After the guidelines in pencil, I create detail and form with hatching and cross hatching in ink.  Then I use watercolor to give color and more detail.

Phyllis:  Do you also render portraits in colored pencil?

Adrienne:  Yes, I do. This is a much more lengthy process of layering and detail of form to capture the essence and spirit of the pet subject. I love to capture movement, texture and the expressive quality of the pet portrayed.

Phyllis:  Do you offer originals, prints or both?

Adrienne:  I only offer originals and I do not deal with print reproductions (giclees etc.) I want to keep the process of hand drawing and painting alive which promotes the human quality.

Phyllis:  Are your prices affordable?

Adrienne:  I offer different services at affordable prices to allow for people of all means to purchase an original.

Phyllis: What is a vignette?

Adrienne:  A vignette is a drawing that shades off into the surrounding paper. My drawings have a vignette quality.

Phyllis:  How long does it take to execute a drawing?

Adrienne:  I allow for two to three weeks considering I have other commissions to complete.

Phyllis: I noticed that you also render vignettes of pets in settings. How do you come up with your ideas?

Adrienne: Sometimes the customer is very precise about what they want for custom vignettes. The ones I create independent of custom work are taken from my own ideas and experiences.

Phyllis: Thanks for this insight into your work.  For more information check on http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheSmithsCollection









1 comment:

  1. Oh this is great Adrienne...love it, and really love your work..

    ReplyDelete